It has become an inevitable part of our household appliances and selecting the right one can be a hectic task. How to select washing machine will depend on your ability to identify some of the factors and things to consider before buying washing machine of your choice.
There are a good number of washing machines in the market, and they differ in terms of their features, capacity, load and function. This washing machine buying guide will help you navigate all the features on the market.
Types of Washing Machine
There are 2 types of washing machine with the basic requirements –
- Semi automatic
- Fully automatic or Automatic Machine – further diving into top load and front load
The machine has different with the number of tubs and the basic working of it.
Semi- Automatic Machine – This type of machine has 2 two tubs -1 is for was washing and other is for rinse and dry. The clothes are washed and come out clean in this, but the change of the tubs is manually and full of effort. The machine consumes less power and you have the choice of water level or water saving. You can pour the water manually as well.
Fully Automatic Machine – In the automatic machine there is no change of tubs and it is only 1 tub doing all the work and making the life easy. This is not at all manually except adding clothes and detergent. The water is added in the tub on its own no manual pouring of water. These machines are updated every time with the development in technology. The electricity is consumed.
- Top-load washing machines – These machines has the mouth of the tub on top where you can fed clothes from the top. They are connected to a continuous water supply, and use water as and when required in the cycle. They have a single tub for washing as well as drying. They are inexpensive compared to front-load machines, since they offer fewer wash programs. It is good for people who have knee issues or have no interest of bending you don’t need to bend down when putting in your clothes. You can also add clothes in the middle of a wash cycle.
- Front-load washing machines – These washing machines are strong and offer a large number of wash programs giving cleaner clothes. They are less noisy, and offer the best wash quality among all washing machine types. These machines have a single tub for washing and drying. The clothes are fed from the front window. They consume less water and electricity than top-load machines. With these machines some disadvantages also comes like hefty weight that makes them difficult to move around, inability to remove clothes once the wash program has started.
Features to look for –
The washing machine has become the eternal part of the household. While buying the machines we should be looking at the following features –
- Washing machine capacity
- Wash programs
- Wash features
For instance, as in normal house or a family of four, the daily clothes will be around 4-5 kgs then mostly 6.5kg machine works well. The features of the machines start from white cloth wash delicate bedsheet wash and many more.
- Freestanding– Freestanding washers is common and can be used everywhere with the access to a drain and a plug socket.
- Integrated– Integrated washers are commonly installed alongside a new kitchen. They are concealed behind a cupboard door and fit seamlessly into the design of your kitchen. They are the new era designs. Although less noisy compared to freestanding machines, there is an installation cost.
- Semi-integrated– They have a door that covers the front, however, it doesn’t cover the controls
- Capacity – The drum size is the next factor that you should consider when buying a washing machine. However, with a high capacity machine, you can do washes less frequently. This reduces energy bills and the impact on the environment. The machines should not be overloaded it results in low lifespan of the machinery.
- Spin Speed – The speed spins are good to get the dryer clothes. High spin speeds are ideal for clothes that need a longer drying period, i.e. jeans. They are good as there is less space now days and reduce the work of drying the clothes outside.
- Wash programmes – With the development and the changes the machinery has many features which are helpful in washing the clothes with the different material clothes.
- Noise Level – This machine do make noise. See for the machines which are not making noise.
- Energy Rating – Energy rating has become important during the purchase of the machines for two reasons. Firstly, energy rating means lower energy costs and secondly, a lower impact on the environment. Energy ratings range from A+++ (the most efficient) to D (least efficient). Please be aware that energy rating doesn’t necessarily correspond to the price of the washing machine.
When we need to sit and relax and the easy to work machinery the charges are also good and it is fruitful to pay for it in the longer term.